Advice For Perpetrators
If you are, or think you may be, abusing your partner, ex-partner or a family member, there is help available. If you live in Leicester City UAVA can offer you support. Ring us on 0808 80 200 28.
If you live outside of Leicester City help is available from Respect:
Respect is a national organisation offering information, advice and support to perpetrators of abuse. They also operate a national helpline on 0808 802 4040. Further information is available on their website.
If you are behaving abusively, Respect recommends that you:
- Speak to someone – their domestic abuse helpline is available Monday to Friday 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm. If the line is busy, leave a message and they will call you back within two working days or you can email them on – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Read their information to manage the risk in the short term:
In the long term, if possible join a behaviour changing programme, often called a Domestic Abuse Perpetrator Programme. Unfortunately these are not available in all areas. The Respect Helpline will be able to tell you if there is one in your area.
- Get further information by downloading Respect’s Choose to Stop booklet.
- or by reading:
- ‘From Fear to Freedom: Masculinity, Control and Change: A Workbook for Men’ by Dave Morran (Editor), Venture Press, 2009, ISBN 1861780826
- ‘Violent No More’ by Michael Paymar, Hunter House Publishers, 2000, ISBN 0897932684
- ‘Man to Man: A Guide for Men in Abusive Relationships’ by Edward W. Gondolf and David M. Russell, Sulzburger & Graham Pub Co, ISBN 0945819617
(Information reproduced with kind permission of Respect).